Select 58 Awards
The Education Foundation of Downers Grove District 58 invites all eighth graders attending Herrick and O’Neill middle schools to consider applying for a Select 58 Recognition Award.
Select 58 annually recognizes eighth graders who exhibit outstanding service and citizenry to their school and community. Fifty-eight students – 29 from Herrick and 29 from O’Neill – will receive this honor. All students are eligible to apply for the honor, as long as they are passing their classes.
To apply for this award, eighth graders must complete two steps:
- Complete the Select 58 Award Application by Friday, March 10.
- Ask someone (not a relative) to write and email a letter of recommendation to Interim Community Relations Coordinator Faith Behr at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 10.
Please see additional details below:
The Select 58 Award application must be completed in one sitting and asks students to provide the following information:
Basic student contact information and a photo for the Select 58 video
- Examples of the following projects completed in seventh and/or eighth grades:
- A list of 1-5 school service and/or community service projects that the student participated in during seventh and/or eighth grades, along with the impact these projects had on the student and/or student’s school/community
- A list of 1-3 school and/or community activities (non-service-related) that the student participated in during seventh and/or eighth grades, along with the impact these activities had on the community.
- A short essay answering the question, “Why is service to your community important to you?”
- Basic parent/guardian contact information and approvals
In addition to submitting the application, all Select 58 applicants must also ask someone who is not related to them to provide a short letter of recommendation for them. The reference must answer the following question: "Why do you feel this student should receive a Select 58 recognition award honoring outstanding school and community service?" The reference must email their letter to the Interim Community Relations Coordinator Faith Behr at email@example.com by Friday, March 10. Ms. Behr will share the letters, with student names redacted, with the Select 58 Committee.
A panel of judges unaffiliated with each middle school will evaluate applications using a rubric. Judges will determine how the activities benefitted the student, school and community, and will take the letter of recommendation into consideration. Student names will remain confidential and not viewed by judges. The top-scoring 29 applicants for each middle school will receive the Select 58 Recognition Award.
Award applicants will receive an email by Friday, April 7 to inform them of whether they received the Select 58 Award. Award recipients will also receive an invitation to the 2023 Select 58 Award Ceremony, which will take place on Wednesday, May 3 from 6:30-8 p.m. at Herrick Middle School. Event details will be included in the invitation.
In addition, all Select 58 recipients will be celebrated in a video, and they will be highlighted in the Eighth Grade Promotion Ceremony program. Recipients will also receive 1-2 small gift cards to a local restaurant/ice cream shop.
Before a student submits his or her Select 58 application, the application will ask the student’s parent or guardian to review it and confirm that the information is accurate, to the best of their knowledge. The application also requests parent/guardian permission for District 58 to use the student’s photo in the celebratory Select 58 video, should the student receive the award.
For questions about Select 58, please contact Herrick Principal Dr. David Norman at 630-719-5810 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or O’Neill Principal Matt Durbala at 630-719-5815 or email@example.com.