Dear Future Kindergarten Parent,
Welcome to District 58! As you prepare to enroll your child in kindergarten, we wanted to share some helpful kindergarten resources with you. Please be sure to contact your neighborhood school to be added to their future kindergartener contact list.
Please click the buttons below to learn more about kindergarten in District 58!
- School Boundary Maps.
- 2021 Kindergarten Roundups: Each school sent a virtual Kindergarten Roundup presentation to incoming kindergarten families on Friday, April 23. If you didn't receive this presentation, contact your child's future school for a link!
- 2021-22 Student Registration: Registration opened April 15, 2021. Please visit our Registration webpage to begin the registration process!
- Getting Ready for Kindergarten video: Watch this 8-minute video to learn more about kindergarten in District 58. Note: the video says that half day kindergarten dismisses at 11:05 a.m. Since this video’s production, that time has changed to 11:20 a.m.
- Short on time? Watch these mini-videos on kindergarten in District 58:
- Getting Ready for Kindergarten: View this tip sheet for helpful pre-kindergarten reminders.
- Developmental Screenings: District 58 provides free and optional developmental screenings for children ages 0-5.
- Grove Children’s Preschool presents Transitioning to Kindergarten: This sheet provides helpful information on transitioning your child from preschool to kindergarten.
- District 58 Keys to Kindergarten Success: This checklist helps parents prepare for their child’s kindergarten experience.
- About: District 58 offers the traditional half-day kindergarten program in the morning that covers the entire kindergarten curriculum. In the afternoon, the District offers the fee-based Optional Kindergarten Enrichment and Enhancement Program (OKEEP), which gives students enriched learning experiences in literacy, math, social studies and science, as well as exploration in physical education, music, multimodal learning, socialization and play.
For the 2021-22 school year, District 58 is committed to offering the Optional Kindergarten and Enrichment Program. However, depending on enrollment and COVID restrictions, it is unlikely but possible that some schools may lack capacity to offer kindergarten and/or OKEEP. If this were to happen, those students would attend kindergarten and OKEEP at a nearby District 58 school with transportation provided. More definitive information will be shared by this summer.
- Kindergarten schedule during a typical school year:
- Half-day kindergarten: 8:15 to 11:20 a.m.
- Kindergarten with OKEEP: 8:15 a.m. to 2 p.m. (Monday) 8:15 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Tuesday-Friday)
- District 58 is closely monitoring COVID restrictions; if restrictions affect the 2021-22 kindergarten schedule, we will communicate updates as promptly as possible.
- Kindergarten curriculum information: View this brochure for information on the District’s kindergarten curriculum.
- Optional Kindergarten Enrichment and Enhancement Program information
- Virtual tour: What does a typical day of kindergarten look like in District 58? (Note: the video says that half day kindergarten dismisses at 11:05 a.m. Since this video’s production, that time has changed to 11:20 a.m.)
- Report cards: District 58 uses a standards-based report card
- Kindergarten Report Card Resource Document
- Kindergarten Report Card Sample
- District 58 curriculum: Learn general information about District 58’s curriculum, assessments and reporting methods
- District 58 special education services: Learn about special services and programs, eligibility categories, frequently asked questions and related resources
2020-21 School of 58 Handbook - English (2021-22 handbook is published in August)
- What does learning look like in District 58 in 2020-21? Find out here.
- What COVID-19 protocols does District 58 follow (2020-21)? Click here.
- School schedule (may be altered in 2021-22 due to COVID-19 restrictions):
- Morning Kindergarten: 8:15-11:20 a.m., Monday-Friday
- Kindergarten with OKEEP and Grades 1-6: 8:15 a.m.-2 p.m. on Monday and 8:15 a.m.-3 p.m. on Tuesday-Friday
- Grades 7-8: 8:30 a.m.- 2 p.m. on Monday and 8:30 a.m.-3:17 p.m. on Tuesday-Friday. Early Bird classes (band, choir and orchestra) will take place from 7:45-8:25 a.m. Monday-Friday.
- Back-to-school toolkit
- 2020-21 school supply lists (updated supply lists will be published in June 2021)
- 2021-22 calendar
- 2021-22 student fees
- 2021-22 fee waivers
- Food services – During a typical year, District 58 offers hot lunch daily at Herrick, O’Neill and Henry Puffer.
- Before and after school care: District 58 contracts with Champions to provide before- and after-school care at all District 58 elementary schools. Some schools also partner with local child care centers to provide before- and after-school transportation to and from those centers. Contact your child's school to learn more.
- Family resource page
- Health services page
- E-Pay – Use E-Pay to pay for preschool tuition and summer school fees.
- PushCoin – Use Pushcoin to pay student fees and middle school lunch accounts. Approximately one week after submitting student registration, PushCoin will send you an invoice for 2021-22 student fees.
- View the District 58 Communication Toolkit
- Sign up to receive Communicate 58, District 58’s twice-monthly, award-winning newsletter.
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
- Read District 58’s publications.
- Learn about District 58’s Strategic Plan, which guides the District’s decision-making.
- Learn the District 58 mission, vision and points of pride.
- Join your school’s PTA.
- FY20 Milk/Bag Lunch Application – Elementary schools except Henry Puffer (This is a state form; the 2021 form will not be available until July 2021)
- FY20 Lunch Application – Herrick, O’Neill and Henry Puffer (This is a state form; the 2021 form will not be available until July 2021)
- If you have children in both elementary and middle school only one application is necessary for all students. The completed forms may be returned to the child’s school or mailed to: Katie Hannigan, Manager of Business Services, Downers Grove District 58, 1860 63rd Street, Downers Grove, IL 60516
- District 58 offers services to homeless students and their families according to the McKinney-Vento Homeless Act. For homeless services, please contact Jessica Stewart at email@example.com or 630-719-5824.
- All District 58 schools are staffed with social workers, psychologists, nurses and other support staff to serve student needs.
- DuPage Community Resource Information System – Access community resource information; includes housing/utility, food, transportation, legal/public safety, health and other resources
- DuPage County community resources, by topic