Dear Families and Staff,
As you are aware, there are forecasts of heavy snow beginning in the late morning tomorrow (Friday, March 3). The National Weather Service has indicated that snow accumulations of 5-8 inches are possible with wind gusts as high as 45 mph.
This letter is to let you know that we are actively monitoring the weather and developing a number of different scenarios depending on the timing, strength and duration of the storm. Please note that it is nearly impossible to accurately predict the weather at this time so all options remain on the table (full day of in-person school, early release day, remote learning, traditional snow day).
One option we are considering is releasing students and staff early tomorrow, at the same time as our Monday Professional Development schedule. (Students in K-6 are dismissed at 2 p.m.; students in grades 7-8 are dismissed at 2:10 p.m.) This allows our families and staff to get home before the roads become impassable.
We are considering this early dismissal option for a number of reasons:
- Snow accumulation is not expected to begin until after school starts.
- This schedule allows students to experience almost a full day of school in-person.
- It is a County Institute Day for most other schools in the area, giving us greater flexibility in managing buses.
A decision will be made by tomorrow at 7:00 a.m. regarding tomorrow’s schedule. Please continue to monitor your email and phone. Families are encouraged to reach out to after school providers to see what plans are in place for afternoon childcare in the event of an early dismissal.
Families and staff can learn more about how District 58 makes weather-related closure decisions at https://www.dg58.org/family-resources/winter.
We hope that this information, while not finalized, can help you plan ahead.
Dr. Kevin Russell