The Education Foundation of Downers Grove District 58 is funding 23 District 58 teacher grants totaling over $22,000 through its 2022-23 Teacher Grants Program. The Foundation annually awards grants to teachers and staff for projects that support student learning.
“I am very grateful to the Education Foundation for their continued support of District 58 instruction and learning,” said Superintendent Dr. Kevin Russell. “This year’s total grant award has doubled from last year and will provide many more opportunities for teachers and staff to incorporate unique learning opportunities in their classrooms and workspaces. I look forward to seeing the grants in action!”
District 58 teachers submitted their grant applications last fall, and the Foundation’s Grants Committee completed a thorough and blind review of all grant proposals. The Foundation selected projects that showed strong potential to impact instruction using innovative tools and/or techniques. Project proposals must align with the District’s curriculum goals and have measurable outcomes, among other requirements.
“Congratulations to this year’s teacher grant recipients! The Grants Committee was very impressed with the innovative and exciting ideas our applicants proposed, and we look forward to seeing their grants in action this school year,” said Education Foundation Vice President and Teacher Grants Committee Chair David Olsen.
This year’s teacher grant recipients were recognized at the January 2023 Board of Education meeting. View the presentation.
Congratulations to the 2022-23 Education Foundation Teacher Grant recipients:
- Candace Adeszko and Laura Bucaro, Indian Trail: Assistive Technology Devices for Preschool
- Keri Bernhard and Robyn Panico, O’Neill: Large Print Book Classroom Library
- Sabrina Breault, Catherine Boyce and Beth Kamano, Pierce Downer: Decodable Books Library (Grades K-2)
- Maureen Bresnahan, El Sierra: Mouth Models and Mirrors for Speech
- Georgina Cervantes, O’Neill: Spanish Language Leveled Readers for Classroom Library
- Caitlin Choinski and Jillian McNamara, Henry Puffer: Zones of Regulation Curriculum & Reading Materials
- Patrick Donnelly, O’Neill: Portable Disc Golf Baskets for New PE Unit
- Nicole Ferroli and Stephanie Potter, O’Neill: English-Language Arts Classroom Library
- Christina Gamboa, El Sierra: Hands-On and Multi-Sensory Materials to Support Specialized Curriculum
- Kate Gorvett, O’Neill: Tabletop Projectors for Art Classroom
- Janet Hecht, O’Neill: Digital Piano for Choir
- Leslie Hesterman, Hillcrest: Nonfiction Country and Culture Books
- Jennifer Johnson and Sarah Pinkus, O’Neill: Magnetic Marble Run Game
- Mary Loversky, El Sierra: Social-Emotional Learning Picture Books
- Alicia Micele and Marissa Remus, Fairmount: Kinesthetic Activities to Teach Handwriting
- Joan Mommsen, Belle Aire: FactCite Database Subscription
- Joan Mommsen, Belle Aire: PebbleGo Next Database Subscription
- Sandra Munizzo, El Sierra: Social-Emotional Learning Books for Kindergarten
- Janet Peters, Indian Trail: Decodable Library
- Tracey Ratner, Indian Trail: Makerspace Area and Supplies
- Brittany Sanfillippo, Highland: Zones of Regulation Curriculum and Reading Materials
- Liz Stroud, Fairmount: 3D Printer
- Mandy Zimolzak, El Sierra: Building Fact Fluency Toolkit for Addition and Subtraction
For more information on the Education Foundation, please visit www.58foundation.org.