Dear District 58 Families and Staff Members,
I hope this letter finds you well and that you had a wonderful summer with family and friends. We are beyond excited to start the new school year, which is always filled with energy, excitement and hope. As we prepare to start a new school year, I want to thank you for your partnership.
One of the best things about the upcoming school year is that we are able to approach it in a much more traditional manner. Moving forward, we will continue to place the students and staff at the forefront of all decisions. I have no doubt that no matter what is thrown our way, we will continue to meet every challenge head-on as a community.
Last year and over the summer the District moved forward on several key initiatives, and below are some of the highlights:
- Engaging the community on District 58’s facility needs and using their input to inform a facility recommendation to the Board (Learn more about facility planning here.)
- Receiving the Board of Education’s approval to pursue a referendum regarding the District’s facilities in November 2022
- Earning the State’s highest financial recognition award for the 20th straight year
- Adopting new curriculum resources and programs
- Developing new key performance indicators for student achievement and growth
- Hiring staff members during a historic teacher/support staff shortage
- Increasing the District’s special services and dual language programs
- Making building improvements (playgrounds, flooring, roofing, masonry, etc.)
- Transitioning to a temporary administrative center and forming a long-term partnership with the Village of Downers Grove on a shared space (View a short video to learn more.)
I want to thank each of you for your support and engagement, and I look forward to another great school year! Thank you once again for your partnership, flexibility, grace and resilience. Please do not hesitate to reach out to our District Office if you have any questions or need anything as we begin this new year.
Dr. Kevin B. Russell
Superintendent of Schools