The District 58 Board of Education will hold a Regular Meeting on Monday, April 12, 2021 at 7 p.m. at Downers Grove Village Hall, 801 Burlington Ave. Under Gov. J.B. Pritzer’s guidelines for Phase 4, a limited number of seats will be available for the public to attend the meeting in person. The public is strongly encouraged to participate in the meeting remotely, via the Village of Downers Grove’s YouTube page.
The meeting agenda covers many topics, including:
- A virtual flag salute by Hillcrest students, and a Hillcrest School presentation
- A spotlight on District 58 facilities
- Comments from an outgoing School Board member
- Approval of the consent agenda, which includes tenure recommendations and 2021-22 non-union technology staff salaries, 2021-22 non-union educational support staff salaries and 2021-22 registered nurse salaries, among other items
- A recommendation to approve Optional Kindergarten Enrichment and Enhancement Program fees for 2021-22.
- A recommendation to approve a resolution regarding the honorable dismissal of teachers. Annually, positions are reduced pending enrollment and staffing plans for the upcoming year. As in years past, as soon as District 58 opens its 2021-22 enrollment process and can verify its enrollment needs for next school year, the District will call back these important employees.
- A recommendation to approve a resolution authorizing the agreed property tax abatement for the Rexnord facility for the 2020 tax year.
- A recommendation to approve the District 58 Five-Year Financial Plan
- A recommendation to approve a one-year contract extension with First Student to provide student transportation services during the 2021-22 school year
- A recommendation to approve a one-year contract extension with Sunrise Transportation to provide special education transportation services during the 2021-22 school year
- A recommendation to approve a first reading of Policy 4:20, which directs District 58 to seek to maintain a year-end fund balance to expense ratio of no less than 35% percent
- A recommendation to authorize the superintendent and administration to seek an appraisal of the District’s Longfellow Center and to work with the District’s attorney to prepare documents and establish a timeline for the Board to adopt a resolution to sell the Longfellow property, to secure a leased office space for administration, and to renovate the Administrative Service Center for warehouse storage and maintenance use
- A recommendation to approve a 24-month managed Internet service contract with AT&T, reimbursable via e-rate at 40%
- Recommendations to approve several bids, including a bid regarding work to relocate the District’s technology servers from the Longfellow Center to Kingsley School; a bid for miscellaneous painting at District 58 schools; a bid for Fairmount School HVAC work; and a bid for pavement improvements at District 58 schools
To view all Board meeting topics, view the agenda.
How to view the meeting:
The State enacted legislation last spring that amended provisions to the Open Meetings Act. Public Act 101-640 allows school boards to hold meetings virtually during a disaster proclamation such as that due to COVID-19.
The public may view the meeting via a live stream on the Village of Downers Grove’s YouTube page. After the meeting has concluded, this live stream will be saved on District 58’s YouTube channel and shared on the District 58 website.
For those who choose to attend the meeting in person, seating for visitors will be limited to a first come, first served basis. Social distancing must be adhered to and all visitors must wear a mask. The doors will open at 6:45 p.m.
How to make a public comment during the meeting:
The Board encourages public comment from the community. There will be an opportunity for in-person visitors to make a public comment. In addition, remote visitors can make comments remotely. To make a remote public comment, please call 630-743-4085 and record your comment. Comments must be recorded between 6 p.m. and the beginning of the Public Comment portion of the meeting on April 12.
Recorded public comments will be played during the meeting. Members of the public may communicate with the Board at any time by emailing email@example.com.
View more information about these and all Board meeting topics in the Board agenda at https://go.boarddocs.com/il/dg58/Board.nsf/vpublic?open.