The District 58 Board of Education will hold a Bond Issue Notification Act (BINA) Hearing and a Regular Board Meeting on Monday, Feb. 8, 2021 at 7 p.m. at Downers Grove Village Hall, 801 Burlington Ave. Under Gov. J.B. Pritzer’s guidelines for Phase 4, a limited number of seats will be available for the public to attend the meeting in person. The public is strongly encouraged to participate in the meeting remotely, via the Village of Downers Grove’s YouTube livestream.
The meeting agenda covers many topics, including:
- A public hearing concerning the Board’s intent to sell $3.335 million in bonds to increase the District’s working cash fund. This funding would be used to fund critical capital project work at District 58 schools.
- A virtual flag salute by Pierce Downer students, and a Pierce Downer School presentation
- An Education Foundation of Downers Grove School District 58 spotlight
- A District 58 winter assessment data snapshot
- The monthly business report
- An update on the District’s credit rating
- An update on the future of the Longfellow Center
- An update on the District’s draft Financial Plan
- A discussion on the 2021-22 school calendar
- A vote to approve a $9 million transfer from the working cash fund to the education fund. This money will be paid back to the working cash fund after the District receives its early levy year 2020 taxes.
- A vote to designate several unneeded items as surplus equipment. If approved, the items, which include several tools and other maintenance machines, would be placed for sale on a public auction site.
- There will be a standing action item on the Board Agenda for the duration of the pandemic in the event the Board is required to respond to rapidly changing events that may impact the District's learning plans.
To view all Board meeting topics, view the agenda.
How to view the meeting:
The State enacted legislation last spring that amended provisions to the Open Meetings Act. Public Act 101-640 allows school boards to hold meetings virtually during a disaster proclamation such as that due to COVID-19.
The public may view the meeting via a live stream on the Village's YouTube page. After the meeting has concluded, this live stream will be saved on District 58’s YouTube channel and shared on the District 58 website.
For those who choose to attend the meeting in person, seating for visitors will be limited to 25 on a first come, first served basis. Social distancing must be adhered to and all visitors must wear a mask. The doors will open at 6:45 p.m.
How to make a public comment during the meeting:
The Board encourages public comment from the community. There will be two opportunities for remote public comment during this meeting.
To submit remote testimony specifically for the public hearing on the bond sale, please call 630-796-0886 and leave a message before 7 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 8. As mentioned above, the hearing concerns the Board’s intent to sell $3.335 million in bonds to increase the District’s working cash fund.
To make a remote public comment about any other meeting agenda item, please call 630-743-4085 and record your comment. Comments must be recorded before the beginning of the Public Comment portion of the meeting on Feb. 8.
Recorded public comments will be played during the meeting. Members of the public may communicate with the Board at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
View more information about these and all Board meeting topics in the Board agenda at https://go.boarddocs.com/il/dg58/Board.nsf/vpublic?open.