Beginning April 7, the school district transitioned to a full onsite model where students attend school for a full instructional day in person. The District continues to offer a full remote option as well. In order to support our families, we have compiled a list of daily reminders.
1: Complete the Daily Health Questionnaire
Prior to arriving at the school, please complete the Self Certification form emailed to parents each day. If a Self Certification form is not completed, the student will not be allowed to enter the classroom and the parent will be called. Here is a list of COVID-19 related symptoms that parents must certify that their child does not exhibit.
- Fever greater than 100.4 F
- New onset of moderate to severe headache
- Shortness of breath
- New cough
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- Fatigue from unknown cause
- Muscle/body aches from unknown cause
In addition, please keep your child home if he/she came in close contact with a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 case.
A “close contact” is considered:
- Living in the same household as a person with COVID-19
- Caring for a person with COVID-19
- Being within 6 feet of a person with COVID-19 for more than 15 minutes, regardless of whether the person was wearing a mask
- Being in direct contact with secretions from a person with COVID-19 (e.g., being coughed on, kissing, sharing utensils).
- Being in close contact (as described above) in the 48 hours before a person with COVID-19 developed symptoms.
- Higher risk close contacts, including unmasked lunchroom companions, high and medium risk contact sports teammates and opponents, and music class participants may be assessed for contact less than 15 minutes, as determined by the Health Department.
Someone is “suspected” to have COVID-19 if:
- he/she is demonstrating symptoms consistent with COVID-19 (see list above) and
- he/she has had close contact with a confirmed positive COVID-19 case in the past 14 days and
- he/she has not yet received test results or doctor clearance.
2: Help Prevent the Spread of COVID-19
Remind your students of the 3W’s: Wear your mask, watch your distance and wash your hands. Please help us keep our students in school by following our safety guidelines and having students stay home when you don’t feel well. All students are asked to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 by always wearing their mask, practicing social distancing, using hand sanitizer, and washing their hands.
If at any time your child is not feeling well, please have him/her stay home, or, if your child is in school, have him/her visit the nurse's office. When reporting an absence, families will be required to answer a series of questions as to whether their child’s illness is related to COVID-19. If a child’s absence is related to COVID-19, families will be required to adhere to the quarantine requirements per the Illinois Department of Health. If there are changes to this area, we will notify families.
3: Check Your Email
District 58 will continue to monitor COVID-19 cases in the Downers Grove and surrounding areas and the region. If the District needs to close schools due to changing patterns of COVID-19 transmission or student/staff absences have caused a disruption in the educational process or transmission, or other factors, the District will communicate with you through email, texts and phone calls. In addition, we will continue to notify the school community of positive cases even if a student(s) has not been in attendance or is in full remote learning.
- View more information on the District 58 Instructional Model implemented this fall due to the pandemic.
- View the COVID-19 Dashboard that provides information on positive cases of COVID-19 in the school community.