The District 58 Board of Education will hold a Regular Meeting on Monday, May 10, 2021 at Downers Grove Village Hall, 801 Burlington Ave. The meeting will begin in closed session at 6 p.m. The public portion of the meeting is expected to start at approximately 7 p.m. Under Gov. J.B. Pritzer’s guidelines for Phase 4, a limited number of seats will be available for the public to attend the meeting in person. The public is strongly encouraged to participate in the meeting remotely, via the Village of Downers Grove’s YouTube page.
The meeting agenda covers many topics, including:
- A virtual flag salute by Whittier students, and a Whittier School presentation.
- A spotlight on projected 2021-22 enrollment and a staffing update.
- The approval of the Personnel Report, which includes the appointment of the new Herrick Middle School principal.
- A recommendation to approve a resolution that authorizes the sale of the Longfellow Center.
- A recommendation to accept a Wight & Co. professional services proposal to allocate 9.25% of final construction costs for Administrative Service Center modifications.
- A recommendation to amend the 2020-21 budget, put the amended budget on display for 30 days, and establish the date for a budget hearing on June 14.
- A recommendation to approve a food service management contract with Aramark for the 2021-22 school year.
- A recommendation to approve a $150,000 donation from Climb Higher at Highland and an agreement to rebuild the Highland School playground.
- A recommendation to approve Landscape Structures playground equipment from NuToys Leisure Products through the Sourcewell purchasing cooperative for the Highland playground project for a total cost of $73,348.
- A recommendation to award the Highland playground renovations bid to George’s Landscaping for a total cost of $98,500.
- A recommendation to authorize the administration to enter a room rental agreement with SASED for the 2021-22 school year.
- A recommendation to complete a second reading of Policy 4:20 - Fund Balances and approve revisions.
- A recommendation to designate a Meilink large safe, laminator and computer cart as surplus equipment and placed on a public auction site.
- A recommendation to approve the Consolidated District Plan application, to be submitted to the Illinois State Board of Education for the 2021-22 school year.
- A recommendation to approve a contract with Systemic Educational Equity, LLC to conduct an equity audit of District 58 in the 2021-22 school year in the amount of $37,500.
- A recommendation to approve contracts with Happiness Advantage/Orange Frog to provide professional learning on July 29-30 and Aug. 24 for a total amount of $38,000.
To view all Board meeting topics, view the agenda.
How to view the meeting:
The State enacted legislation last spring that amended provisions to the Open Meetings Act. Public Act 101-640 allows school boards to hold meetings virtually during a disaster proclamation such as that due to COVID-19.
The public may view the meeting via a live stream on the Village of Downers Grove’s YouTube page. After the meeting has concluded, this live stream will be saved on District 58’s YouTube channel and shared on the District 58 website.
For those who choose to attend the meeting in person, seating for visitors will be limited to a first come, first served basis. Social distancing must be adhered to and all visitors must wear a mask. The doors will open at 5:45 p.m. However, please note, the Board will be meeting in closed session at 6 p.m., and they expect to reconvene for the public portion of the meeting at approximately 7 p.m.
How to make a public comment during the meeting:
The Board encourages public comment from the community. There will be an opportunity for in-person visitors to make a public comment. In addition, remote visitors can make comments remotely. To make a remote public comment, please call 630-743-4085 and record your comment. Comments must be recorded between 5 p.m. and the beginning of the Public Comment portion of the meeting on May 10.
Recorded public comments will be played during the meeting. Members of the public may communicate with the Board at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
View more information about these and all Board meeting topics in the Board agenda at https://go.boarddocs.com/il/dg58/Board.nsf/vpublic?open.