The counseling program enables students, parents, and teachers to experience a positive social, emotional, and academic learning environment. The program is based on the American School Counseling Association Comprehensive Developmental model and consists of a myriad of supportive services: individual and group counseling, parent and teacher consultations, group guidance, referral assistance programs and services in the community, and student testing.
Small Counseling Groups are offered each year. Groups are formed around a variety of topics including social skills, friendship, academic readiness and anxiety. All groups are formed on the needs of the students. Any staff or parent can refer a student they feel could benefit from small group counseling.
Individual counseling in the middle school is short-term in nature, depending on the need and circumstances. If the student is in need of additional mental health services, referrals can be made. Individual counseling can begin at any time during the year.
Teacher consultation and collaboration is available every day.
Parent Consultation is also available. Please feel free to call, e-mail, or schedule an appointment.
- 7th Grade Counselor: Mr. Steve Gross
- 8th Grade Counselor: Mrs. Julie Quinlan
- Social Worker: Ms. Julie Ekman
COUNSELORS PROVIDE SUPPORT BY:
- Creating a safe school environment where children can learn.
- Listening to student concerns.
- Promoting positive attitudes.
- Designing interventions that lead to student success.
- Teaching students anger management, conflict resolution, mediation skills, and organizational strategies.
- Welcoming incoming 6th grade students from elementary school.
- Helping parents, teachers, and administrators to meet the needs of all students.
- Empowering students to become self-advocates.
- Developing and maintaining personal relationships beginning in sixth grade and continuing through eighth grade.
- Advocating for students.
- Working with students individually, in small groups and in the classroom.
- Coordinating referrals to outside agencies.
- Transitioning students to high school.
- Supporting new students and families who enroll in theMiddle School.